Friday, August 3, 2007

Getting into classes

Ok, so I've worked here at the University of College for almost a year now. I can start taking my free classes.

I got permission from my supervisors to take a fiction writing course this fall. It's a 900 level (graduate) course, so I have to get permission from the English Dept. They won't put me in the class since I'm not in the Writing MFA program. They'll list me as an alternate, and I can join if there's space...which there seemed to be.

Well, getting into that program was the other reason I went to go see them. Even though I work for the school, I have to jump through all the hoops of applying, including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and application fees. At least I don't have to take the GREs. And, of course, the deadline was 3 days after I went to see them. In spite of having gone to this school as and undergrad, I can't even get my transcripts in 3 days. So, I can't join the program until next freakin' fall, as they're one of the only programs on campus that don't admit new students during the spring semester.

At least I've got one of my letters lined up. It's coming from the wonderful woman who started the summer writing workshops I attend whenever possible. She used to work for NASA, was in publishing, is now a writer and writing professor at another university, and was on the History Channel on their show about Star Wars tech (she wrote The Science of Star Wars). After surviving her workshop for another year, I'm pretty sure I'm more than qualified to take this class. I probably won't get all that much out of the whole MFA thing either, except for another diploma...

Oh well, we'll see.

No comments: