Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Tale of Two Applicants

Last time, I gave some suggestions for getting a job. After the past few days, I must stress the idea of following up. We had one girl call on the last day we were accepting applications to make sure we got hers. Supposedly, she’d sent it in a few days before. None of us handling the applications had any record of her. So, we were nice and gave her a back door to the application website. A few minutes later, we had it.

Well, we had an application with her name and contact info on it, but nothing else. We emailed her again to let her know. By the end of the day, we had a completed application.

Now, had that application come through the first time, she would’ve been classed solidly in the “Maybe” pile. Her aggression in pursuing the position has gotten her a foot in the door. We were slammed with applications. A good 80-85% were culled, and only about half of the remainder have been or will be hired. I’ll know when I get back to work next whether or not this girl will be joining us.

On the other hand, don’t be like the girl who dropped in on us Friday. She hadn’t applied through the website, she wouldn’t talk to any of us except my boss, and seemed to think we would be inclined to give her a position. I don’t think so.

I’m making her sound like she was pushy and rude, which wasn’t the case. I think she was just misinformed (non-native English-speaker would be my guess), and she either had no idea that we were involved or was just too timid to say anything to us other than who she wanted to talk to. Probably a combination of the two, if what I know of her ethnicity’s culture is anywhere near accurate. Like a boxer, she had a plan, and it fell apart when the first punch was thrown. She just couldn’t think on her feet fast enough to recover.

No comments: